About the Investment Association (IA)
The Investment Association (IA) champions UK investment management, a world-leading industry which helps millions of households save for the future while supporting businesses and economic growth in the UK and abroad. Our 270 members range from smaller, specialist UK firms to European and global investment managers with a UK base. Collectively, they manage £9.4 trillion for savers and institutions, such as pension schemes and insurance companies, in the UK and beyond. 44% of this is for overseas clients. The UK asset management industry is the largest in Europe and the second largest globally.
We want our members to achieve the best results for their customers, both in the UK and internationally. To do this, we lead learning, training and development initiatives to ensure compliance with the law and industry best practice –all while attracting a more diverse workforce into the industry. We also consult widely with members on issues affecting the industry, such as market trends, new technology, and data use.
More information about the IA can be viewed on our website.
The Investment & Capital Markets Team
Investment & Capital Markets is one of the main policy areas around which the IA’s industry work is organised. Our team’s key tasks are to:
- Assist IA members as investors and users of capital markets to the benefit of their clients;
- Facilitate and support our members ability to invest in a diverse range of asset classes – e.g. Equity, Derivatives, Fixed Income, FX, Infrastructure and Private Markets
- as well as the fair, effective and efficient functioning of these markets and asset classes;
- Engage on matters directly affecting the practice of dealing/trading for investment management firms, including market structures and their relationship with other market participants, including investment banks, exchanges, settlement agents, clearing houses, other vendors and agents;
- Assist our members as investors in specific instruments (or at issuers request) via IA Special Committees;
- Represent industry on ETFs through education and necessary regulatory engagement;
- Assist industry with embracing Sustainability as one of the defining features of investing and the wider role investment managers play in a sustainable world;
Our work is varied, often changing, but always reflecting our members’ investment and capital markets priorities.
Overview of the Role
The Investment Association (IA) is looking to recruit a Trainee to support our Investment & Capital Markets work.
The role is a varied one and will provide additional resource to the team in important areas such as the running of IA Special Committees, support for various policy committees, and research and development of policy positions across various asset classes. All of our work is also informed by the growing importance of Sustainability and Responsible Investment.
Main Responsibilities and Duties
- Key immediate focus: IA Special Committees and Public and Private Markets in the UK.
- Support for various member committees including the senior IA Investment Committee; Fixed Income & Fixed Income Traders; FX; and the IA LIBOR Transition Working Group.
- Research, development of briefings, policy papers, and consultation responses.
- High level of members interaction to develop policy content and facilitate Committees and Groups.
- Support for the wider team with ad-hoc tasks and key priorities as required.
Essential Skills / Qualifications / Competencies
The role would suit someone with a higher education (degree, diploma) and some research and writing experience this can be gained from University or volunteering etc. Some understanding of investments and markets would be beneficial but not essential.
We are specifically looking for:
- Excellent research and communication (written and verbal) skills;
- Accuracy and good attention to detail;
- Willingness and ability to learn quickly;
- The ability to work collaboratively within a small team and to be flexible about the tasks, policy priorities and projects allocated;
- Good time management skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks, to prioritise and deliver on time;
- Strong work ethic – proactive, hardworking, determined and enthusiastic with a ‘can do’ attitude;
- Strong technology/digital skills would be an advantage.